My Udhayam TV Interview on Rohingya Crisis

kashmir femaleStudents from various female colleges in Indian-administered Kashmir take part in mass protests against Indian soldiers. A 17-year-old was reportedly shot dead by security forces on April 15 in Indian-administered Kashmir while at least 50 college students were wounded by police officers who fired pellets and tear gas.

Video showing Indian soldiers using physical abuse sparked anger leading to violent clashes between police and protesting students outside Government Degree College Pulwama.

Indian police, assisted by paramilitary troops, created a check point outside the college to arrest the boys who they said were involved in stone-throwing incidents.

Police used teargas to disperse the protesters but the clashes escalated when pellets were fired, leaving many students injured, including a head injury to Zeeshan Ahmed.

More than 15 students were admitted to the district hospital in Pulwama on the same day. Most of them suffered pellet injuries to their eyes. Zeeshan was later shifted to a hospital in Srinagar for specialised treatment, a senior doctor at Pulwama hospital told a local newspaper.

Mass protests then broke out as a result, with students from other colleges, including a girls college, taking part.

The day-long protests and clashes on April 17 left more than 50 students injured.

Three Indian soldiers, two 'rebels' killed in Kashmir

Fighters storm military camp close to heavily militarised Line of Control, killing three soldiers, Indian army says.

Nearly 70,000 people have been killed in the rebel uprising and a subsequent Indian military crackdown [File: Farooq Khan/EPA]

At least three Indian soldiers and two suspected rebels were killed in Indian-administered Kashmir after fighters stormed a military camp close to the heavily militarised Line of Control dividing the disputed region, Indian officials said.

The fighters used guns and grenades to target soldiers in Panzgam, northwest of Kashmir's main city of Srinagar, said army spokesman Rajesh Kalia.

A group of at least three fighters hurled grenades and fired automatic weapons at the sentry of the highly guarded army camp, a police officer said, speaking to AP news agency on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorised to speak to the media.

Two fighters were killed in an ensuing gunfight while another was believed to have escaped, the officer said.

Pellet guns take toll on civilians in Indian-administered Kashmir

He confirmed that three soldiers, including an army officer, were killed and said that five soldiers wounded in the attack were airlifted to the Indian army's main base in Srinagar for specialised treatment.

There was no independent confirmation of the incident and no rebel group fighting against Indian rule has immediately issued any statement.

India and Pakistan each administer a portion of Kashmir, but both claim the territory in its entirety. Most people in the Indian-controlled portion favour independence or a merger with Pakistan.

Nearly 70,000 people have been killed in the rebel uprising and a subsequent Indian military crackdown.

Rebel groups have largely been suppressed by Indian forces in recent years. However, public opposition to Indian rule remains deep and is now principally expressed through street protests marked by youths hurling stones at government forces.

Street protests flared in recent weeks as thousands of Kashmiris vented anger against alleged abuses by Indian forces after a video emerged of a local man tied to the front of an army jeep and used as a human shield.

In an attempt to contain the protests and limit the circulation of videos, India on Wednesday said it would block 22 social media websites in Kashmir for a month.